How to Store Air Compressor?
In engineering units, store is the place where machines and spare parts are stored. Actually air compressor is not a machine to keep in store but due to some reasons it requires to be storage for some time. Any air compressor, which is not in service, whether it is installed or not, the unpainted Compressor surface are subjected to Rust and Corrosion. If this occurs to you, you have to take care of that air compressor up to commissioning. However every Compressor going out of factory is always processed with Rust Preventive Oil. This Rust Preventive Oil will work better up to one month and if your requirement is more than this period then you should have to take extra preventive steps.
The Rate of Corrosion varies with Climatic Conditions. Variance in Climatic Condition makes it impossible to state the length of time; in very humid climate rust formation is fast and in dry climate it is slow.
No one will give you education about storage of compressor; you have to find your own ways. As I spend many years in compressor engineering, I have some knowledge which I like to share with you.
Procedure to Store Air Compressor
01) Open top cover from crankcase and lean Crankcase from inside with help of cloth. Never use cotton waste for cleaning purpose.
02) Fill H.P.Rustop-286 or any other Anti-Corrosive Oil in Crankcase and rotate Compressor belt wheel for several times. This will ensure the circulation of Anti-Corrosive Oil to all moving parts, Cross-Slide and Guide.
03) Clean low pressure and high pressure cylinders and spray sufficient quantity of H.P.Rustop-286 and rotate Air Compressor several revolutions.
04) Place Silica Gel bags in valve ports and refit valve covers if the Air Compressor is Non-Lubricated type. Now a days Teflon spray is used to prevent valve from corrosion. Don’t remove this material.
05) Drain water from Cylinder Jackets, Inter-Cooler and After-Cooler and thoroughly flush with clean water with H.P. Radiator Cleaner. Refilled the system with 10:1 mixture of Waterand H.P. Radiator Cleaner and keep it for 4 to 5 days. Remove it after the said period. In cold condition, where Water Freezing may occur, in that casedrain the mixture immediately.
06) Drain H.P.Rustop-286 or any other Anti-Corrosive Oil from Frame and Force Feed Lubricator.
07) If V-Belts are fitted, remove these completely and store it at separate place.
08) Apply sufficient quantity of preservative grease on piston rod.
09) Plug and seal all openings thoroughly so as the Moist-Air and Dirt do not enter inside any part of the compressor.
10) Store Air Compressor in dry place under shade or in any separate room.
I hope the above guidelines will help you to store your compressor very safely until you start utilize it.