Network administration is a discipline in Computer Science that entails maintenance of computer hardware and software that are part of a network. &
System administration is a discipline in Computer Science that entails maintenance and operation of computer systems which includes both hardware and software.
These two fields are sometimes combined into one and given the name System Administration. As every company in the world try to automate their business processes by making use of computers and computer software, they find themselves hiring System Administrators in the process.
Due to the fact that computer systems are diverse in nature and every business process can be completely different from another, the System Administration job usually requires a broad skill set. Below are the few duties that a System Administrator can do in this position as mentioned in Wikipedia page:
1. Analyzing system logs and identifying potential issues with computer systems.
2. System performance tuning.
3. Installing and configuring new hardware and software.
4. Performing backups and regular operating systems updates and patches.
5. Ensuring that the network infrastructure is up and running
In order to keep up and be updated of how to make my System administration job a lot less painful i found myself making a good use of the following resources that I think are essential to my job. If you are also a system admin or are interested in technology, the resources below can also be a great source of information. Feel free to suggest any other resources that you find useful in the comment section.
- Web Art this is a french site (thanks to Google translator, you can easily read it in any language that you prefer)
You might also find this resource useful as well. System Admin Day